Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tons of love & good food

Saturday July 31st, 2010


Today was the first day I had gone outside since my appt. with Joan. Gabriel came to pick me up. I was still a little off kilter, the sky was gray, the air was cool, and I still had some ringing in my R ear. I don't think I was able to get the water out of it from the shower, it's hard to bend over and the shower hose doesn't help but put more water in. Gabe helped me to the car and we were off. I told him that it's nice to see each other when we're both not so sleepy like the last 2 times we saw each other. We stopped off on the way over to get them a bottle of wine, good spirits. :o)

One of my coworkers, Frances, hosted a potluck, and what a potluck it was, @ her house for VA kinfolk. Some retirees were there & we always compliment @ how good-looking they are. Taking care of grandbabies, travelling, etc., such is the life. I'd like to do that some day, if I could. We had homemade pancit, potato salad, BBQ, rice, Chinese food, pastries, etc., more food than you can shake a stick at. Not only did I eat until I was short of breath, so did others. Bill joked that some coworkers didn't want to invite themselves like others did. I'm sure if they did, they'd be welcome as well.

It was good to see them, we laughed and cried, Kathy told me that they're just not used to seeing me this way. Tom & his family had their little astronaut present me with roses and Tom our PTC (part-time clerk) gave me some chocolates. I wish we were gathering because we're all healthy. We used to take turns hosting VA gatherings in the past but with everyone's schedules it became difficult. We put that aside today. One drove in from Dalton, IL, others came before heading into work or after retreats. The smiles, the stories of how the kids are growing up so fast, they're playing football, going in to nursing school, entering college, driving, etc., the laughter, hearing what's new in people's lives was wonderful. Life will go on and it's precious. Unfortunately the pain and shortness of breath started to worsen. I had to lay down, which helped, thank goodness Frances has a comfy couch. It was hard to say "bye" but we did so paparazzi style, with cameras & cell phones.

Gabe had helped me into the house, where sleep was calling me, he also had things to take care of. We hugged & kissed "goodbye". My family had gone to a summerfest so the couch was all mine. That way the dogs can come & go without me lifting them. I did feel better the moment I was flat, the pain & SOB went away & I was able to catch up on sleep. Dad had come home later with more leftovers from Mariano's, that great grocery store in Arlington Heights. He was singing them more praises. I was able to eat and spent the night working on that puzzle. It's a Thomas Kincade and he has minute pieces. I wish I brought the vampire one, it might be easier to put together. A quiet day, sometimes you need those.

Good luck to all those participating in the cancer walk/run tomorrow, especially, "Mary".

Thanks for all the prayers for our brother and his family, they seem to be working. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment