Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mixed emotions

Friday August 6th, 2010

Today started out scary. Our dad left to go work out about 6:30 am. Our sister called at 8:30 am & stated that there was a car accident near the intersection of his workout area. I called his cell & he did not pick up. I started getting nervous and pulled out that puzzle. Our sister and niece reassured me that he's probably socializing and would be back soon. A few minutes later he came home. He said, "Oh, no, it was a shooting between the police and someone in a cadillac. You should see the bullet holes." He was told that he had just missed it by 10 minutes. Knowing that he was fine, it took a load off my mind.

Later, two of my buddies dropped by for a visit and we ended up eating @ I-HOP. One is known for his voracious appetite and both of them ordered the Hungry-Man's breakfast which consisted of, are you ready for this, a huge breaded steak with gravy, 2 or was it 3 eggs, any style, 3 pancakes and hashbrowns. Needless to say, the bottomless pit stopped mid hash browns and didn't touch the pancakes, he had met his match. Then he revealed that he had already eaten twice that day. It was only noon. When they dropped me off, I gave them big ol' hugs. It's so good to see great friends. Especially since it's harder for me to get out on my own to see them.

I got home, Marie and I worked on the puzzle some more, then her dad came by and added his 3 pieces to the puzzle. I told him how I wanted to put the names of the workers on the back of it when we finished. We finally completed it to find ONE piece missing. Maybe we can color it in. Maybe someone is hiding it so they can feel great to be the one to put in the last piece. It's kind of like being the first person to ruin the peanut butter. Of course we took pictures of it. It took about a week to build. What a challenge.

We ended up cleaning the house because our relatives were coming by. I took a quick nap. Our cousins arrived around dinner time. Our family cooked BBQ. It's amazing to see how their children grew and the characteristics that they have of each of their parents. The last time I saw them, the middle child was still in a stroller, now he'll be in the 4th grade. The baby was so cute, he reminded me of a Cabbage Patch Kid and the eldest, she'll be in 8th grade. It was so nice to see them, in person, after all these years. I've missed them because of work when they had visited before. Oh, it was so good to see them. It's always sad to say "goodbye" but not without our paparazzi session, long hugs and kisses and then more hugs and kisses.

Not too soon after that, another great friend, came by to catch a movie with me. I hadn't been to one since I started chemo, over a month ago. That vertigo still had me wavering so I warned her that I might have to grab onto her for support. We went to Movico (sp?) on River Road. It's a very nice theater and boy was it crowded. The movies we did want to see had already started but we ended up watching "The Kids Are Alright". We were two of the few people in the theater. It was a pretty good movie, not a remake of a remake. It had a good, original story line, with great actresses and my friend also liked the leading man. It was nice to see her again, it had been a couple of weeks since I last saw her. Her life had been a little hectic too but I'm glad we made time for each other. Another big hug & kiss given out today.

So even if the day started out hairy, all in all, it was a good day. Thank You God for making it happen. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment