Monday, August 16, 2010

Hope for my big belly?

Monday August 16th, 2010

I had spoken with my oncology nurse today. She had called last week to check on me while I was in the Dells. She too had been out for a few weeks, I thought for a vacation but she told me it was for a procedure. I told her how large my abdomen had become, about my worsening shortness of breath & decreased appetite and that I had an appt. to see a surgeon on Sept. 13th. She told me that that was too far away and that they're going to try to get me to be seen sooner than that.

Today I also broke the news to two other people who have been a part of my life. Sara, my physical therapist, who got me back on my feet when my vertigo hit. If anyone needs physical therapy, she's the best. She's very patient, encouraging, supportive, knowledgeable and always smiling. She's great with her patients and doesn't mind hearing or seeing them again after they "graduate". I let her know how my vertigo gets worse with the chemo but it does seem to taper down after about a week. She let me know that her other cancer patients had reported the same thing and reminded me that certain meds can make it worse too. She offered that if things get worse to contact my neurologist and she wouldn't mind seeing me again. I told you she is great.
The next one was my dentist. His office had called to see if I'd be able to make a different time for my appt, that's when I told the receptionist of my condition and asked if I could speak with my dentist. He picked up his line and it was really hard telling him. He's known our family since he took over for our original dentist way back when. He's known how I was having symptoms but he couldn't believe the diagnosis. I told him how the chemo knocks down my platelets and I'll have to get back in touch with him depending on my chemo schedule & if I get to see the surgeon. They both gave words of encouragement, neither had never heard of my cancer, and both offered their help. I told them how I'm thankful for them taking care of me and will hopefully continue doing so.

After showering, Marie took me on my errands, to return the bent clothing rack & to pick up some b-day gifts, to visit my cats, and other places. I had received a hospital bill and it was AFTER insurance. Wow. Luckily I saw the notation to call a number if we can set up a payment plan, interest free. I'm all for it.

After returning back to dad's, Gabe called and made plans to come by. It's been quite a while since I saw him, he was dealing with his own family issues for a while. He rode up on his CBR. The first thing I did was show him was how big my belly grew since I last saw him. He couldn't believe it and I started crying. He held me and reminded me to take some breaths and to try to calm down. I told him how it makes sleep, eating and breathing difficult. For the duration of his stay, he might have realized how much so, I had to keep changing positions to try and get comfortable, which he helped me get in & out of with our low lying couch;he saw how little I ate @ dinner, but I did eat; and my short breaths, he tried to have me take deep ones, but I can't. He also helped me look up potential new cell phones. I'm using one of Paul's from 3 phones ago. Hey, the battery lasts, it makes calls & I receive texts. I do need a new plan, since my diagnosis I've gone over minutes with calls and texts. It was getting dark & I get concerned about him driving home especially since he doesn't wear a helmet. As he was leaving we hugged for a long time, as close as my belly would allow and we shared some tender moments. I had asked him if he could take some of my tumor & throw it out all over the Kennedy. We did speak later & obviously he made it home safely. I really appreciated his visit.

I finally opened Ray's blog with the video he had made for me several years ago. I still have the DVD near my t.v. @ home. It brought out, as Jenny called them, "Happy tears". I hope to continue making more good memories with my loved ones. I told you I'm not materialistic. Family, friends, coworkers, pets, etc., those are the real treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment