Monday, July 19, 2010

"Wax on, wax off" RIIIIIIP!

Monday July 19th, 2010

I had labs checked today hoping if they were good, that I could get the chemo dose I missed last week. I snacked around 4:30 am on Rice Krispies, blueberries, a bit of sugar & milk. When I got my results back my glucose was only 104 mg/dl (normal) instead of running in the 200's. I was usually eating closer to my appt. time. My platelets also went back to normal but I was informed that my 2nd dose of Gem/Cis chemo combo will most likely be this coming Monday and that this was to be my "week off" anyway.

These darn facial hairs had not fallen out but kept growing so I'm hoping this is a sign that I will not lose my hair but it does mean that I still have to shave my legs, pits & go for facial waxes. OUCH! Is the waxing pain worse than the cancer pain? They're about equal. How do I know? I let my niece drive me to get it done today so I don't look like the Geico Cavemen and was quickly reminded of it as soon as that first strip was ripped off. Since my labs were better I didn't have to worry about potentially bleeding, ya never know how much skin could come off on that waxy cloth. Would I bleed out from the mustache wax? That'd be embarrassing. FYI, this is the 3rd time out driving with my niece and she gets better every time.

I had a great friend who flew in from Cali today for her dad's b-day as well as to visit me. God I miss her. Welcome back my eating buddy. I wish I could keep up with her like back in the day but thank goodness she does not have what I have. This cancer is like kryptonite to my Superman. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like food and used to put it away until THIS. It got me where it counts, in the belly region limiting my intake, but I still eat knowing the pain it will cause later. Is that what "a glutton for punishment" means? I'm glad I found a solution to it by lying on my back until it subsides and to eat several small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. Back to my Cali friend, she hasn't lost her touch, maybe she'll take one for the Gipper (me) & carry on the tradition. I hope to heal enough to do it on my own. She really brightened my day and soon Mother Hen One, she knows who she is, and her daughter joined us. We'll be having another gathering tomorrow with Mother Hen Two, she knows who she is as well, and some other friends. Take advantage of the more energetic times.

Bad things just keep coming. I got more news today of an aunt of some great friends that had to be taken to the hospital. Please pray for them. So much going on in a short period of time. When times get rough, people come together.

Later this evening my family went to Whiting, Ind. for our mom's cousin's wake. It was nice to see family, just wishing it was for another occassion. I was told that he had seen a doctor a few days prior and was told he was fine to go home. Wait! I was told the same thing by my health professional today, YIKES! Our gentle cousin had a great long life, loving wife, children and grandchildren. Our family is big, we may be in different states but that doesn't stop us from being there for each other. You learn so many amazing things about a person, unfortunately, at wakes. You learn about their accomplishments, the lives they've touched, etc. We heard his passing was even mentioned by the White Sox announcer, Hawk (is it Carlson ?, I'm a Cubbie fan by birth, Northside!) during the 4th inning of Friday's game.

The priest @ the funeral home was kind enough to bless me before I left. When he finished his blessing he shoved his hand that was resting on my forehead, into my forehead, kind of like that "And I say Yay!" preacher from the 70's or 80's, then the people would fall out & be healed. I hope his hand didn't get too oily, my five fingered forehead* is known to be shiny.

ATTENTION TO ANYONE WHO'S SQUABBLING OVER SILLY STUFF IN THE PAST, LEAVE IT IN THE PAST, FORGIVE EACH OTHER AND BE FAMILY/FRIENDS AGAIN. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HOLD GRUDGES. Unless if it's really something serious then can you at least think about forgiveness. Maybe? :o) No one is perfect. Life has too many burdens to bear, lighten your loads, and I hope to practice what I'm preaching.

* My "Five fingered forehead" title was given to me by one of my patients years ago. I know it's big but I'm hoping it means I have a lot of wisdom, like Hera, Zeus's wife. Don't know where I heard or read that tidbit. Goodnight everyone. :o)

1 comment:

  1. "Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important." - Mr. Miyagi (he knows his stuff)

    ReplyDelete