Friday, July 23, 2010

Shared pain

Thursday July 22nd, 2010

Sorry yesterday's blog is misdated. This computer I'm working on is a day ahead for some reason.

Thursday started out nice. My Cali friend, Sue, came by and took Marie, my niece, & I to I-HOP for brunch. She ordered the pancake where they make a face on it with straberries & bananas. Of course I took a picture of it. It was cute & yummy. Then she dropped us off to go have ice cream with her parents.

I then read the latest e-mail on our sister-in-law by our brother. He said she was doing a little better. I called her, she sounded very weak and sad. I asked her if she wouldn't mind us visiting and if she needed anything. She took a long time to ponder what she needed or wanted. We were glad to get it for her. We got her the socks and the bagel & cream cheese she requested along with some other goodies. I lent her the book, "Why?". I hadn't had a chance to read it yet but I think she needs it more than I do @ this point. We told her nurse how we're the sisters-in-law in pain with our respective diseases. I asked her if she was able to speak to the priest yet & suggested she get in touch with support groups to see how others with MS deal with their exacerbations and diagnosis. When we were leaving, I held her tight & I reminded her that she's a part of our family and that we're all here for her and not to hesitate to call upon us, & that somehow we'll get through this together.

Marie had dropped me off @ Sue's brother's home where they were celebrating their dad's 84th birthday. By the way, it was the 3rd time Marie drove on the expressway & did fine. We had a nice dinner and I saw more of Sue's family members that I hadn't seen in years. We sang the "Cha-cha-cha Happy Birthday" song while the grandkids helped blow out the candles. I gave him a music box with "Faith, Family & Friends" on the cover that played, "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone. It's a beautiful song, Debbie's One Hit Wonder. Later when I was picked up by my niece and sister, they had brought the neighbor's three kids which they were babysitting. Now there's six kids of similar ages that took to each other right away and ran off upstairs. Next thing you hear is banging, "What the heck was that?" I wish they had come by earlier, they could've played longer.

My special friend had called & came by to visit. He had attended a wake earlier in the evening for his coworker, a CPD officer who was gunned down in front of his own home 2 weeks before retirement. Not fair & not right. I was glad to see my S.F., it had been a while since we last saw each other. We were still watching the neighbor's kids. My back was hurting so I laid on the couch & rested my head on my friend's leg while he rested his hand on my tumor. I wish he could take it away. The Band Hero was set up and the kids were playing and singing, my special friend too. You really appreciate the little ones, seeing how they get along, laughing and singing knowing that life does go on, they're the future, giving hope that there's still happiness, innocence and good in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment