Friday, July 9, 2010

Be careful how you sleep

Hey gang,
I successfully endured spending the night with a Huber needle in the right side of my chest. That's the big fancy needle they used to access the portacath the day before for my fluids. I found myself almost laying on the R side of my chest a few times, not sure what would happen itf I did but I don't want to find out either. I'm a mover & shaker in my sleep and have even been called the human typewriter by some because I roll over til I bump you, then get pushed back to my side of the bed "Ching!"
Anywho, they wanted to check some electrolytes which the chemo is known to lower, potassium, phosphorus & magnesium. If so, they could give it IV form. They had also planned to hydrate me if needed. Well, I stepped on the scale and went up to 150 lbs from 144 lbs the day before. That indicated that I gained 6 lbs in 1 day and that I didn't require the extra fluids. So now I just had to wait for my labs to come back.
I had a different room this time and got to share it with another pt. & her niece who had brought her in for her treatment. The niece informed me that she's only 41 y/o and is facing her own dilemma of worsening kidney failure, being diabetic, having high blood pressure and raising 2 kids. When you may think you have it bad, others have their share of problems. We agreed that having a great support system will get us through our rough times. Shortly after I had gotten the news that my labs were good except that my glucose (sugar levels) were elevated, however, one of my medications is Dexamethasone, a steroid, which may cause it to rise. I'm on that temporarily because it helps one of the nausea meds work more efficiently. Before I left the other pt's niece & I wished each other well on our health journeys.
My dad is recuperating from laryngitis and a bad cough but dropped me off to my appt. Jenny, my sister, had offered to take me but he said he felt better than yesterday. He was out running errands when I was to come home, so a sweet friend took some time out of his day to get me back home after my appt. I told him that if he got in trouble for being late getting back to his destination, that he could use my cancer card to get him out of trouble. Any favor one does for a cancer pt. or anyone else ailing should be forgiven by a higher-up.
Today a little more pain resurfaced but I'm managing. I'm on enough meds already. I've been having weird sleep cycles and today had gotten up @ 4am because I was hungry. I had eaten a banana & some milk & couldn't go back to sleep. Of course I wanted to sleep when I had to finally get ready for my appt. I thought I could rest when I got home but my Runaway dog had developed a fever, chills and didn't eat breakfast. No appetite is a BIG indicator to get him to the vet ASAP. I had planned on going to see another healer @ Immaculate Conception Church tonight but Widdo Poopie's health scare did me in. Luckily the healer will be at another destination on July 11th. I hope to make it to see her. Widdo's doing better so now I can try to catch a nap to wake up later to go to sleep. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I can attest to the "human typewriter" story.

    We had to share a bed during one of our trips, I think to WI.

    And I remember waking up with one foot on the floor, because I was pushed to the edge and that was the only thing keeping me from falling off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was New Orleans when Jess & I shared a bed and she nearly knocked me off too :O

    Jess, glad to hear you got to sleep early tonight. xoxo

    ReplyDelete