Saturday, July 3, 2010

What a day

Friday July 2nd 2010 was one to remember.
Not only did I get my portacath placed and had a quick, uncaring & rude exit from the nurse in the holding room who never checked my vitals post-procedure (even though I was extremely sleepy, nauseated & dizzy, and I'm not hesitating to report this) I had one of my little Chihuahuas high tail it out of my dad's backyard while I was recuperating from my procedure.
Everyone in the Mayfair area heard of the dog with the unusual name, Widdo Poopie, from the mailman, camp counselors @ Mayfair Park, to store owners, the 16th & 17th police districts, etc.. Marie, my niece had the oddest experience of yelling out his name with a hot dog in her hand trying to woo him home. The hot dog was her mom's suggestion.
I want to thank everyone from my family, friends, to everyone in the Mayfair area who tried to catch him & kept an eye out for him, Faceboook, etc.. I especially want to thank the family that found him & placed their "found" poster @ 7-11 where my sister, Jenny, & her daughter, Marie, were placing their "lost" poster, when they came across it. Bless your big hearts.
I had been so upset with God and had challenged him to "bring it on" earlier in the day when he first went missing, I didn't know how much more I could take in one day. Needless to say I was hysterical when Jenny & Marie arrived home with the information to pick him up. I apologized again to God. Widdo had made it across Lawrence & Elston Aves. and several blocks unscathed.
I didn't not comply with the first line of my discharge instructions. "Go home & rest the entire day." My family started laughing. Eric, part of the search team, before he left asked, "So we'll do this again tomorrow?" I replied, "HELL NO!" just as the answering machine on my neighbor's cell phone clicked in. I had called him to let him know that my dog was safe & those were my first words.
Again, thank you to all who helped me out with my dog and continue to be there for me during this cancer process. As in the book "Crazy, Sexy Cancer", you're my Cancer Angels, the ones who'll get me through this. I love you all.

5 comments:

  1. We love you too, Jessie :-) We were all hoping and praying to find Widdo Poopie safe. Jane's Mom even prayed to St. Francis. During the search, it was very uplifting to encounter so many people in the neighborhood interested in helping. The rest were funny (I still think that one guy thought we were asking him if he wanted to buy Harry Potter). Anyways, it was an amazing moment when we heard he was found. Even the guys at the tattoo parlor on Elston, where I stopped on the way home (and who were kind enough to let us post the missing dog flyer in their window) were happy to hear the news!

    Eric and Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. please tell me you've gotten them new tags with your phone number on them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy Widdo Poopie is safe and sound. M.E. giggled so much when I told her the dog's name.
    So much for your recuperation. What have we learned as medical professionals? WE MAKE THE WORST PATIENTS! GET SOME REST! Let me know if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy and I (search party #2) made it past Elston too by talking to people, and following leads. Funny, we talked to the same folks that I think Eric and Jane talked to; I think we were in the neighborhood of where Widdo was found, when we got the text from Jessie.

    People were very surprisingly nice and accommodating...although, we did get a confused look whenever we told them the dog's name...
    they would seem to say "huh"? and then "oookay..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, how could you sleep w/ one and not the other...the two of them were so peaceful and in their comfort zone (buried w/ you in the comforter) when I saw you.

    Please get your rest!!!

    I like what you said...that's what "lawns are there for". See you very soon!

    ReplyDelete